Wednesday 3 June 2015

I Started Doing Business Early To Help My Family – Alice Ejembi, Hairstylist

Alice Emmanuel Ejembi a.k.a Lisa, is a 25-year-old hairstylist based in Ungwan Rimi GRA, Kaduna. Her passion for making others look good saw her venture into the hairdressing business six years ago; a business her mother had also been involved in since her growing up years.
My parents are… Mr Emmanuel Ejembi Ochigbo and Mrs Ochigbo

Growing up was… a bit difficult, because my parents were not doing so well and I have many siblings. That prompted every one of us to start doing something to earn money at a very young age.
Favorite childhood memories… Hmmm! I think it’s the festive periods when we would wear new clothes and eat our favourite meals to our satisfaction!
I’ve always wanted to be… a lawyer; in order to defend the less privileged and stand for justice where it is needed. It’s an ambition I still want to pursue and I know it’s not late. I love to help people in my own little way.
When I started this business… I didn’t have a dime but I went looking for a shop believing God for a miracle. Later on, a friend’s mother loaned me N15,000, which was not even enough to buy a dryer or pay the rent. So, I pleaded with the owners of the place to let me start first and they agreed to collect the money in installments. It was not a smooth start but I started anyway.
Being an entrepreneur… means you have to be very strong, courageous, creative and you have to overcome so many challenges that would surely come from the customers and your competitors who may intimidate you, knowing well that your place is not as comfortable as their’s. The quality of your work stands out only when you believe in yourself and put your trust in God.
I chose to become a hairstylist because… I grew up watching my mum doing it. I fell in love with it and developed a very keen passion to take it up as a career.
It wasn’t easy… because of so many challenges, the major one being raising the capital to begin.
My greatest motivator… is the grace of God that has kept me this far.
I don’t have any regrets but... I wish I had more money to invest into the business, beacuse there are some major equipment that I’m still lacking, which would have made the salon more comfortable and also create an atmosphere to train other people who would like to take up a career in hair dressing.
Five ways to describe myself… Achiever, accomodating, self-discplined, extrovert and very friendly.
I’m scared of...nothing, actually.
I make a fashion statement... with casual wears because they make me look smarter.
My favourite movie of all time is…Rio
You may call it my weakness but… my business means everything to me.
I like reading… motivational and business books.
In five years’ time… I see my business going international.
My philosophy in life is… always stand for what you believe in and also learn to be content with whatever you have

No comments:

Post a Comment